31 August, 2010

Keep me guessing



Sometimes I hear something that sounds like nothing I have ever heard before. I can sit there and attempt to "label" it, or even try to guess influences, but it never makes any sense.

But really when you think about it, isn't that the beauty of art? When you can create your own meaning and find inspiration within the music that applies to you personally. When it trips you out every single time and never gets old.

I urge you to listen to these two tracks. Animals as Leaders somehow managed to sync every element that I love about music. It's rock. It's edgy. It's trippy and even "electronic" at moments. It's instrumental. It's progressive. It's emotional. It keeps me guessing. It's dramatic.

If you are a true music fan and appreciate true skill, you will notice the talent of guitarist Tosin Abasi immediately. It's not even debatable. He's a genius.

And if you agree, you might want to check them out live. Animals as Leaders will be on tour this fall with Circa Survive, dredg and Codeseven. I'll be at their House of Blues show in Chicago on November 19.



Animals as Leaders - On Impulse



Animals as Leaders - Behaving Badly


-

1 comment:

  1. I like this style of music. It reminds me of Foals or Minus the Bear.

    Or the Chicago band, Love in October :)

    ReplyDelete