06 August, 2010

Absinthe party, what?



You know...I really, truly believed that I'd be a Lollapalooza attendee this year, however after taking my upcoming travels and expenses into consideration, I decided three days of sweat, overpriced beer and overflowing port-a-potties wasn't worth the $200.

But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the music! Luckily, a lot of the Lolla artists play more intimate shows at random Chicago venues throughout the weekend. One of the bands I really wanted to see, Minus the Bear, will be playing this Saturday night at the Double Door. So if you're like me and snoozed on the whole Lolla thing, there's still opportunities to catch after-shows.

It's weird, I know Minus the Bear has been around for a while; I just never gave them a fair chance. I do that a lot. I recently got reintroduced to their first LP, Highly Refined Pirates, and it's been on repeat for weeks. It reminds me of the beach--just getting drunk with my lover, watching the waves crash, wrestling in the sand, enjoying a bonfire, etc.

Especially the track "Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey Warehouse." Utopian paradise!

I know they have a new album out, but maybe they'll read my mind and play my three favorite songs from Highly Refined Pirates...



Minus the Bear - Thanks for the Killer Game of Crisco Twister


Minus the Bear - Monkey!!! Knife!!! Fight!!!


Minus the Bear - Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey Warehouse


You can download the full album here.

-

No comments:

Post a Comment