08 November, 2010

Music is my drug

I've recently been introduced to the calming grooves of Emancipator, and I was quite bummed to have missed his recent show in Chicago on Oct. 30. But the more I thought about it, the more I was actually happy I didn't waste my $44. There is something very depressing about standing there, witnessing a guy and his lap top; it makes me kinda nauseous. I like bands, you know...with instruments. That's what a real show is about. 

Not to take anything away from electronic music. It's still music, and an art. It's just not something I'd spend money to watch live. I think electronic music is best listened to in the car, in the shower, at work, etc. It's excellent background noise for any moment.

I listen to a lot of music, as you already know. But there is something so tranquil and calming about this new style of classical, lo-fi, jazz-like electronica. Actually, I think I just made it sound a lot more complicated than it really is. It's probably the one genre I can listen to at any time of any day and feel better than I had moments before. 

It's not ridiculously complicated or technical. It's simple, yet thought provoking. Peaceful, yet dramatic. It puts me in a dream. It's my drug. Who needs opiates, when you've got music?!
I hope it has a similar effect on you. Here are my two favorite Emanipator tracks, followed by two somewhat comparable tracks by similar artists.



Emancipator - Lionheart


Emancipator - Anthem


RJD2 - Smoke & Mirrors


Xploding Plastix - More Powah to You

-

1 comment:

  1. what about electronic music that is performed live, via synths and drum machines and whatever noise makers? i definitely get not wanting to see a dude on a lappy, but there are quite a few brilliant live pa's out there that dont touch a computer...

    ReplyDelete