24 February, 2009

Classics week (2)


I love Fleetwood Mac, mostly because I'm female, and the story behind this band is like a freakin' soap opera. I don't have the time nor the energy to get into detail about that drama; it would probably take up multiple pages. But if you care to find out for yourself, click here.

Let's get back to their music. The songs here all have special meaning to me, and they're all so different — part of the reason why I love Fleetwood Mac so much. They're songs can appeal to almost anyone. They cover so many emotions and situations through their music. And their impact is made apparent by the many covers other bands have produced. Even clubheads are jamming to Fleetwood Mac, without even knowing it. I've heard dance remakes of "You Make Lovin' Fun," "Everywhere," and "Stand Back" (which is actually a Stevie Nicks solo, but you get the point). And I'm sure there are many more that I haven't even heard yet.

So on to my playlist...I was never a big fan of "Dreams" until I was riding on the subway one evening about five years ago. A homeless man was blissfully strumming on his guitar and singing the lyrics, and I couldn't take my eyes off him. He played this song so beautifully, I missed my train because I didn't want to stop listening. It was the perfect song to illustrate the way I was feeling at that moment in time. I immediately went home and downloaded Fleetwood's version of the song, and ever since "Dreams" possesses a whole new meaning for me.

This is the live version of "Big Love." It sounds much different than the studio version, which I don't care for much. But I wanted to post this because Fleetwood Mac is one of those bands that can put on the kind of show that you'll never forget. Their performance can change the way you listen to their music. I also wanted to use a song that showcased Lindsey Buckingham's vocals. Most people think of Stevie Nicks when they think of Fleetwood Mac. But Buckingham, as well as Christine McVie, added something different when they contributed to vocals, something special.

I also wanted to include "Gold Dust Woman" for you. My cousin, Mimi, introduced me to this song back in our grammar school days. Her father had an old jukebox in their garage, and we would repeat this track over and over again. Unfortunately, I do not have a downloadable version. But the video I dug up for you is an even better treat. So enjoy! And let me know your thoughts.


Fleetwood Mac - Dreams (Download)


Fleetwood Mac - Big Love (live) (Download)

3 comments:

  1. Hey Cuzzz...glad to see the oldies...don't forget about Fela Kuti (Nigerian Musician/AfroBeat)who inspired many mainstream musicians...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhiannon is the song i was thinking of! beautiful. these are sweet too. I do dig fleetwood mac. but stevie nicks is sorta scary.

    ReplyDelete